Laptop Resurrection

My adventures in Linux and using it to save one poor negelcted laptop.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

RPM's R.I.P. and DSL tried and died

The RPM's don't work on my system, of course they were designed for Fedora Core and Red Hat not Slackware and Vector Linux. To bad. Althought the nice people LinuxQuestions.org pointed me to LinuxPackages.net which has a ton of Slackware Packages and I'm sure Vector will get more packages as Vector Linux 4.3 Matures.

The one thing I like about open-source software is that, unlike the careful choices you have to make in your software using windows, it's like [insert favorite gift giving holiday]. There's a lot of good stuff out there. Sure, there is plenty of fruit cake (sorry if I insulted any fruit cake lovers) but a little fruit cake is worth it when you open up that big screen tv.

I also tried DamnSmallLinux. I couldn't get x started do to the fact that the native resolution is 1024x768 and the max resolution on my laptop is 640x480. I tried starting it with the vga=normal cheat code but x wouldn't start. to bad.

If you don't know what a cheat code is in DSL check out the Knoppix site. It tells about them in length somewhere on that site.

PS all the links I put in myself. They are not added by blogger.com for advertising and I didn't get paid to link to the sites I just thought anyone reading this might like to find out more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati Profile